Click any thumbnail image to view fullsize
• The ZF 5 speed manual transmission calls for 3.38 quarts (3.2 liters) of synthetic MERCON ATF (Ford part number E6AZ-19582-B) or Castrol TRANSMAX-S ATF. Yes, this manual transmission requires the use of automatic transmission fluid due to its tight design tolerances. Thick gear oil is not compatible with the transmission and will cause poor performance, premature wear, and/or driveability issues.
• Park the vehicle on level ground before attempting to change the fluid.
• Locate the transmission's drain plug and fill plug (see image at left if in question). Place a drain pan beneath the transmission and remove the drain plug and then fluid fill plug using a 7/8" wrench.
• Once the fluid has drained completely, reinstall the drain plug.
• Use a fluid transfer pump to fill the transmission with fresh ATF. The correct fluid level is up to the fill plug hole - when the transmission has reached the correct fluid level, ATF will begin to run out of the fill plug opening. At this time, remove the hose for your transfer pump and reinstall the drain plug.
• We've chosen to use Amsoil's Signature Series multi-vehicle ATF for this transmission. This high quality fluid gave us smoother shifts and the peace-of-mind that our gear box is protected by one of the best names in performance lubricants. Though it is a multi-application fluid, it is completely compatible with any manual gear box that requires ATF.